Monday, September 7, 2009

THE JULIE/JULIA PROJECT

So, it's been awhile and I apologize to my ummm...two readers...lol...for not being more on top of my blog. Life has gotten very busy...but in a great way...ON MY TERMS! There is no better way, I believe then having a very FULL life but on your own terms.

But enough about that...
After seeing The Julie/Julia Project for the second time last night, and loving it that much more, it has not only inspired me and thousands of other people apparently to want to cook, but to blog. It made me realize I have been ignoring my "baby" and really need to focus on bringing you...whoever you are?...the best observations of life, I have. It may not mean anything to most of you, but if it sparks something in even one of you...then this will all be worth it.

So back to the cooking part. I have wanted to REALLY learn how to cook forever. I even put in on my New Year's Resolution list this year. I think it would be great to serve my daughter food that didn't come from pushing a few buttons on the microwave or have the words "drive-thru" attached to it! However, the reality is, that cooking for the both of us is like cooking for one person that eats like a bird! Needless to say, we don't eat a lot!!! I have considered bringing the left-overs to my Taco-Bell, Papa John's, McDonald's eating boyfriend to stop the fast-food obsession!!! Again, the reality says, how often will that happen and my kitchen isn't big enough for Ratatouille to cook in, let alone ME!

But still...I am somehow inspired to want something other than a Rancharo Chicken Soft Taco for dinner every night and would be proud of myself if I could actually make something healthy that tasted great! Don't get me wrong...I am NOT about to cook 524 recipes from Julia Child's Cookbook, but attempting to once a week go to seek Betty Crocker's help in the kitchen would not be a bad thing.

I am not the recipe-following, follow the rules, in-the-box kind of girl, so I guess that is why the cooking thing never really appealed to me. Too regimented!!! I like to fly by the seat of my pants and see what happens and I have certainly found out that in the kitchen...that can be disastrous if you have NO CLUE what you are doing!

So bottom line, I am inspired. Inspired to write...inspired to cook...and inspired to go for my dreams!!! The movie will definitely leave you feeling like you can do anything. For those of you who haven't see it...I suggest you do. I think it is very relateable for most people on some level.

Betty Crocker here I come! I will keep you posted on my progress. I am not making any promises or deadlines. I am just attempting to...once a week cook something that didn't come from a box, a package or a drive-thru and that in itself will be a MAJOR accomplishment!!!

WISH ME LUCK!!!

No comments: